Saturday, October 18, 2014

Feed Dogs on a Lady Kenmore 89


A few weeks ago, I found a Lady Kenmore 89 (516.891) at a thrift store. The machine was in a beautiful cabinet, came with the proper little hollow bench, and had the owner's manual and all the original attachments plus all the available (at the time the machine was made) optional attachments and the manual for those attachments. After making sure the machine itself was in decent shape, I decided to “think about it.” The minute I got home, I realized there was nothing to think about. It's a Lady Kenmore 89, for cryin' out loud! The next day, I was at the thrift store the minute it opened and bought the machine as soon as the cash register was up and running.



When I was cleaning the machine, I discovered the feed dogs wouldn't lower, which affected the machine's ability to make decorative stitches. There's a knob on the front of the machine which the owner's manual says is used to raise and lower the feed dogs. You push in the knob to lower the dogs and then you turn it to lock them in place. I could push and turn the knob, but the dogs didn't move. By peeking into the slot which contains the stitch length regulator, I could see the knob is connected to a small cable inside a housing. The cable runs from the knob, past the motor, and along the rear edge of the machine. The cable is connected to a bell crank which actuates a piston. The other end of the piston is connected to a cam follower which raises and lowers the feed dogs.



Once we saw where the cable ran, we could see what ought to be moving between the cable and the feed dogs. Even though I'd already oiled the machine, we oiled everything between the cable and the feed dogs again, making sure not to miss anything, and we let it sit for a day. No joy. We thought perhaps the cable was stuck inside the plastic housing, so we drizzled some oil on the top and bottom ends of the cable, pushed the knob in and out a few times, and let the machine sit for a couple of days, exercising the knob a few dozen times during those days. Still no joy. Nothing was moving.

We decided it was time to bring out the Kroil. If you haven't ever used Kroil, you might want to do a little internet research and see what you find. (We bought ours directly from Kano Labs because they were having a two for one deal online.) We put a few drops of Kroil on the top and the bottom ends of the cable and a drop of Kroil on the mechanical pieces between the cable and the feed dogs. The next day, the cable was moving inside the housing and the bell crank was moving, too. The piston, though, was still stuck.

E took a couple of wrenches and very slightly loosened the nuts on each end of the piston housing and the piston started to move, so he put a drop of Kroil on the piston either side of each nut, tightened the nuts again, and . . . . . Ta Da!!



The feed dogs now raise and lower with no problem. The machine sews beautifully – including all twenty decorative stitches.  Happy sewing, everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! Heat from a blow dryer liquefied old oil and gets things moving too.

    Thanks for telling me about your blog. Love your new machine. I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These old machines sometimes require every tool in the box. I had to use the blow dryer on the cam stack!

      Delete
  2. I have that same machine and cabinet. After a complete cleaning and oiling mine hums now too. Mine didn't come with it's manual though so I would love a copy of yours. (If it's ok to ask that?) I'd pay of course. I've called sears and looked everywhere for one and have had no luck. So happy to see this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is one for you sew rebellious. You can buy it in 3 different versions. CD, hard copy, or downloadable. I have bought from this guy several times. Very reliable.

    http://www.sewingmanuals.com/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/Kenmore.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a machine just like it, my mother got it brand new and since she was an avid Taylor, it did get plenty of use. Still a wonderful machine and I love it, but since it has gotten so much use the needle plate no longer has all the stitch line measurements. I can not find a new one. Do you have any ideas as to a machine that has one the same size and in the same direction and it’s part number that I might try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I do not. But, there are adhesive seam guides which work quite well. Sew-Classic sells them as Adhesive Needle Throat Plate Markings. I'm sure there are other sellers as well. I hope you enjoy using your machine!

      Delete
    2. 4we have rights too, I realize that it has been nearly three years ago since you asked about a replacement needle plate for your Lady Kenmore 89. In case you are still looking, there are two of them for sale on eBay. Just search "Lady Kenmore sewing".

      Delete
  5. Hello, I have my mom’s Kenmore, just like this. I am looking for the part number catalog. All her accompanied books do not have part numbers in it. The two numbers I am looking for the most are the needle plate and the bobbin plate. Woulld you be able to help me with just part numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Help, I have been using my mom’s Kenmore 516.891 for many years besides growing up with it. Never any issues, however, somehow or another the foot feet lever that raises and lowers the foot to the feed plate came unhooked properly and will not go down completely to the feed. I am not sure what I need to do to reposition it and if the end door comes completely off to get to it without breaking the door! Can you advise me? No one in my area still works on these machines. Thank you for any help or advice you can give me. Linda -

    ReplyDelete