Monday, October 13, 2014

How To Fly For Pilots 'n Paws

E made his first flight for Pilots n Paws in 2009, and since then he's made dozens of flights and carried nearly 600 dogs. Other pilots ask him a lot of questions about PnP, so he put together a list of some of the FAQs.  These are E's thoughts, and not those of PnP.  Other pilots might have other ideas.  If you have a question which isn't answered below, please let us know.  

What kind of airplane do I need to have to fly for PnP? Any plane will work. I've teamed with people who've flown two-seaters, a Citation, and everything in between. Most PnP pilots fly four-seaters. I have a 1965 Cherokee 140.



What pilot qualifications are required? You need to be legal to fly as a private (or above) pilot or a sport pilot.

Do I need to be instrument rated? No. Many pilots I've flown with are VFR only. If you are thinking of getting your instrument rating, these flights are a great way to build up your cross-country time. If you volunteer for a flight and it looks like there will be IFR conditions along your route, you can always ask an instrument rated pilot to go along or you might be able to find a CFII to go with you so you can log the instrument time. If you can't find someone IRF-rated to fly with you, postpone the flight!

Who pays for the fuel? You do. You are donating your time, your airplane, your fuel, etc. PnP is a 501(c)(3) organization as are many of the sending and receiving rescue groups. Check with your tax advisor to find out to what extent your costs are tax deductible.

What distance is a typical flight? Usually, I fly about 200 nm each way. These flights are almost always relays, involving two or more pilots. The length of each leg depends upon each pilot's plane, comfort level, and budget. It's nice if each leg is about the same length, however this isn't always possible due to where the pilots are based.

How often do you fly?  I fly, on average, about twice each month.  The number of flights you make is completely up to you.  Because of the overwhelming need along the Eastern seaboard, I could fly every day and never run out of dogs waiting to be transported.  

Do you ever fly anything other than dogs? I've flown seven cats. Other people have flown birds and other animals. Usually, though, my passengers have been dogs.



Where do the dogs come from and where do they go? Nearly all of the dogs I've flown have come from high-kill shelters. Most of them have been pulled from the shelters by rescue organizations who find foster homes for them until they can be transported to receiving rescue groups who will find permanent homes for them.



How are the dogs restrained in the plane? Dogs can be carried in crates or they can be tethered or both.



Where do I get crates? I buy crates at rummage sales and garage sales. I have crates in various shapes and sizes, and I can combine them to maximize my dog-carrying capacity. Remember, you're going to be disinfecting the crates in between uses, so pay attention to how your crates come apart. Some crates have lots of fiddly little parts and require lots of time to take apart and put together. I put a couple of old bath towels in the bottom of my crates to make things a little more comfortable for the dogs and to absorb any messes the dogs might make in the crates.

Do tethered dogs ever make a mess in the plane? Once in a while. In my experience, it's nothing major if you're prepared for it. I bought a small tarp and a mover's blanket at Harbor Freight for less than $10, and I spread these out in the plane (the blanket on top of the tarp) when I'm carrying tethered dogs. I also carry a supply of old towels and a roll of paper towels. Plus, I remind the sending rescue groups not to feed the dogs breakfast on the morning of a flight. I've never had a tethered dog pee in the plane. I've had a few dogs toss their cookies. I've had one dog poop, but he was polite about it and unrolled the roll of paper towels and pooped on a towel. No, I am not kidding. This actually happened.  Blanco, you know who you are (and now, so does everyone else).  



How many dogs can I carry at one time? I've carried one dog (who weighed 130 pounds) and I've carried a mom plus her 12 puppies (the noise-canceling headphones came in handy). It depends upon the space you have available. In my plane, it's legal to remove the two rear seats, which gives me quite a bit of room in the rear.



How do I find out about flights? The best way is to go to the PnP website (www.pilotsnpaws.org) and click on Sign Up For the Forum. When the next page comes up, click on Login. Then you can Register. When you fill out your profile, you will be asked the distance you are willing to fly one way. If you say you're willing to fly 100 miles one way, you will receive an email alerting you whenever there is a flight request which will likely come within 100 miles of where you are based. When you get these emails, you can use them to take you to the request where you can post an offer to help.


What do you like about these flights? PnP flights give me a good reason to fly. Also, my flight skills have improved because I'm not flying into the same few airports over and over again. I've met a lot of very nice pilots and rescue volunteers. Some airports offer discounts on fuel to pilots making rescue flights, which I appreciate. Finally, there are the “warm fuzzies” I get from knowing I've helped a few animals avoid euthanasia.


3 comments:

  1. Whoever adopted Blanco was fortunate! A dog who is THAT polite about pooing? Be still my heart. Thank you E. for all you do, and to M. for helping from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great info!! Wish more pilots would consider this. Nice work!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you K9Tailor and Jan-Duane. If you know any pilots, please encourage them to look at the PnP website and then take a look at my blog post. If they have questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

    ReplyDelete